Saturday, March 31, 2012

Writing Revelations - Character Development Drives Plot

Revelation: The more developed your characters are, the more defined your plot becomes.

A great tip an editor recently gave regarding my middle grade novel had to do with character development. The point stressed came down to knowing my characters inside and out, favorite colors, hobbies, food, as well as dislikes, fears, and pet peeves. You must be able to justify every word.

Instead of outlining an ideal plot and then plugging (forcing) your characters in, begin with your subject and as you get to know him or her, his goals and fears will naturally develop without too much predetermined plot on your part. The characters will drive the plot.

I tried this with Devin from my middle grade novel Devin and His Shape-Shifting Sister, and sure enough, there were small gaps here and there I didn't catch without literally interviewing him. Once I sat down and got more into his mind, my plot pieces starting coming together creating a much more tightly fit story. The most fun revision for me is when I know exactly what I want and what needs nixing. 

Try it! Have fun creating and getting to know your characters without straining too much by forcing plots. Let your characters set the course.

No comments:

Post a Comment